I can’t seem to enough of agua fresca.
This palate-tingling, refreshing beverage is the perfect fix for hot summer afternoons like these.
These days, I’m into grapefruit — it’s wonderful, it’s refreshing. Most importantly, it’s rich in Vitamin C [ascorbic acid] – an immunity booster – and lycopene – a carotenoid that lends the vibrant reddish pink hue.
Citrus fruits are an integral part of a bartender’s repertoire, and grapefruit is no exception. It is pretty versatile, used either in the form of fresh whole fruit or bottled juice in the preparation of cocktails. The iconic cocktail Paloma is a great example.
Here I’ve prepared a grapefruit thyme agua fresca. Thyme adds a subtle floral tone to the agua, that complements well with the sweet-sour grapefruit. If using extremely tart grapefruits, pour half the juice into the honey and reduce.
Grapefruit Thyme Agua Fresca
- Servings: 4-6
- Time: 20mins + chilling
- Difficulty: Easy
- 200mL fresh grapefruit juice
- 150g honey
- 30g fresh thyme
- 10g salt
- sparkling water/ club soda
- In a large saucepan, add 500ml of regular water, honey, half the thyme and some salt. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat.
- Simmer until reduced by half. Remove from heat, let cool down to room temperature.
- Strain into a large container/ bowl/ jar. Top it up with grapefruit juice and some more water, mix well and adjust the taste. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
In a glass, muddle a couple sprigs of thyme along with a pinch of sugar. Add ice cubes up to halfway through the glass, pour out 45mL of the agua fresca [on the rocks].
Finish the agua fresca by topping up with sparkling water or club soda. Drizzle over some honey, garnish with a wedge of grapefruit, and serve.
- Use the freshest possible ingredients. If using store-bought grapefruit juice, adjust the sweetness accordingly.
- Don’t add sparkling water/ soda during the chilling process — instead, chill the water/soda separately.
- Convert it into a margarita — in a cocktail shaker, add a few ice-cubes. Pour in the agua fresca mix, a pinch of salt, and shake vigorously. Strain this into a glass filled with crushed ice. Squeeze some lime/ grapefruit, garnish with a wedge of grapefruit, and serve.
What’s your favorite grapefruit recipe? Lemme know in the comments.